Sore Jaw and face, NO problem. At Yam Dental, your dentist in Newmarket, we provide treatments for TMJ problems. Call us today at (905) 836-0836 for a free consultation.
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD)
Signs and symptoms of TMD:
- Headaches, particularly in the morning
- Pain or tenderness of the jaw muscles
- Pain or tenderness in and around the ear and the face
- Clicking, popping, crunching or grinding noise when opening or closing the mouth
- Difficulty or pain in chewing, yawning or opening wide
- Neck pain
- Earache in the absence of an ear infection
Possible Causes of TMD:
- Bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching)
- Jaw injuries
- Joint disease
- Head and muscle tension
- Ill fitting dentures
Treatments of TMD:
- Very often, patients with TMD get better by themselves.
- Cold or warm compresses can be applied to ease sore jaw muscles.
- Avoid eating hard, sticky and chewy foods including chewing gum
- Eat a soft diet and cut food up into small pieces.
- Try not to open the mouth too wide when you yawn
- Relax your jaw muscles
How can the dentists help?
The diagnosis includes a thorough examination and dental x-rays by the dentists. Sometimes, study models (molds of your teeth) are needed to obtain a record of your chewing and biting pattern.
Conservative treatments include:
- Counseling and relaxation therapy
- Medication to relieve pain, inflammation or tense muscles
- Correcting the way the teeth fit together
- Wearing a grinding appliance or night guard
Call us today at (905) 836-0836 for a no charge consultation to learn how we can help you with your sore jaw.